The anticipation of Halloween is upon us! Being outside after dark, Halloween parties, and of course candy are on the minds of millions of children. Adults also have the concerns that go along with the excitement.
Here are eight tips for enjoying Halloween safely – The Kidpower Way!
- Stay Focused on Your Children’s Needs: This often means making things simpler and separating adult celebrations from children’s celebrations. Things that are funny to adults and older children may be very frightening to younger children. Make it against your rules to tease anyone about being nervous or scared.
- Costume Safety: Costumes can become uncomfortable real quick! Watch for costumes that are too hot, make it hard to move or see, or get in others way.
- Car safety: Use reflector tape or glow sticks to stay visible. With a lot of kids, have an adult in front and one at the end to keep track of all children.
- Keep dogs and cats inside. People can be afraid or allergic, and dogs can act out of character in unfamiliar situations.
- Before going out, make a special Halloween Safety Plan in case your child does get lost.
- Stranger Safety: Remind children to let you know when they talk to strangers, not to give out personal information, and we aren’t visiting so we won’t go inside.
- Avoid Meltdowns: Keep your routine. Make sure to give children some time to wind down before trying to get them to go to sleep.
- To avoid disappointment and upset stomachs, make a plan ahead of time for what to do with that bag of goodies!
For the full article go to Halloween Safety